There are only 3 simple steps:
    • We run a trademark search to check availability of your brand name

    • We complete the application on your behalf, through a verified agent

    • We attend to any clarification the authorities may need

    That's it. Your Service Tax Registration is done. Both ST-1 & ST-2 are included in the package.

    Please fill up the form below so you can speak to our legal advisor on the Service Tax Registration process.

    What is Service Tax Registration?

    Service tax is an indirect tax levied on a wide array of services specified by the Central Government under the Finance Act, 1994. The service provider (a restaurant or tour operator, for example) pays the tax and recovers the amount from its customers.

    The service provider must be registered with the Central Government if the preceding fiscal year's turnover is over Rs. 9 lakh. However, collection must start, at the rate of 15%, only when the turnover of the business exceeds Rs. 10 lakh. Once service tax is collected, if even for only a month, the service provider must continue to collect service tax, regardless of whether revenues fall below Rs. 10 lakh per annum.

    6 Essential Facts on Service Tax Registration

    Who pays service tax?

    Service tax, applicable at 15%, is to be paid by the recepient of the service. Therefore, it's the consumer who pays this indirect tax. The tax is collected by the service provider and then pays the amount to the government. Only those service providers offering any of the services on the negative list or with a turnover of less than Rs. 10 lakh are exempt from collecting service tax./p>

    How long does it take for a service tax registration?

    A service tax registration can be obtained within 10 to 20 days. At first, ST-1 is granted, within seven working days. If it is not granted within this time period, it is deemed to have been granted. The ST-2 will take another 10 to 15 working days, depending on whether you have all the relevant documents.

    How are service tax payments to be made?

    Service tax payments can be made online or offline. In case you are making payment online, you would need to do so via the NSDL website. For offline payments, a simple payment can be made via the GAR-7 challan, which is available at designated branches of most public sector banks.

    Do I need a commercial space?

    No, you don’t. Even a freelancer operating out of his residence can have a service tax registration and file returns with government. When filling out the form, remember to put the registration in the name of the entity operating the business. In the absence of an entity (proprietorship or company or LLP), it can be your own name.

    When should I start collecting service tax?

    Even though registration is needed on reaching Rs. 9 lakh in turnover, service tax need only be collected when your revenues are Rs. 10 lakh or over. But once this you cross this mark, you must always collect the tax even if your turnover is less than this in subsequent years.

    How often do service tax returns need to be filed?

    Service tax returns are filed twice a year. By October 25, you must file returns on payments made between April and September. By April 25, you must file returns on payments made between October and March. Proprietors, partnerships and individuals must make payment quarterly, while companies and LLPs must make payment monthly.

    What You Need To Know

    Not on Exports

    The default option for start-ups and growing businesses as only private limited companies can raise venture capital.

    Steep Fines

    The default option for start-ups and growing businesses as only private limited companies can raise venture capital.

    No Going Back

    The default option for start-ups and growing businesses as only private limited companies can raise venture capital.

    Service Tax Registration Process

    2 Working Hours

    You need to send in PAN cards, identity, address proofs and four passport-sized photographs of the proprietor/partners/directors. Private limited companies must also submit the Memorandum and Articles of Association, Form 32, Form 18 and Certificate of Incorporation, while Partnerships must submit the Partnership Agreement. Finally, the rental agreement for the office address, if it is rented, along with the electricity bill.

    2 Working Days

    The application will be prepared by our representatives in two working days. It will then be filed and submitted to the authorities via our affiliates. We will be sent a basic acknowledgement within seven working days.

    10 to 25 Working Days

    Your application will be processed by the department and may involve a physical inspection. Once approved, the Service Tax Number will be issued. A certificate will also be issued. We will courier it to you when it is received from the government department.